Tuesday 16 April 2013

Hang on lads, I've had an idea...

I do like doodling track plans and layout ideas, I just can't help myself. Regular readers will know I have a weakness for "challenge" micro-layouts, such as the Dave Brewer challenge at EXPO-NG. This year's rules are for a triangular layout with sides in proportion 45:40:30 (up to 1.8 cm times those factors), now I have no intention of entering but still couldn't help sketching some ideas. Then I came up with this plan:

 
This is a full-size mock up for an 014 layout inspired by the Thakeham Tiles Railway, which was used to deliver sand from hoppers (previously a quarry) to the factory which made concrete products such as garden walling (confusingly, not tiles!). Thakeham Tiles are still trading from the site in Storrington, West Sussex - just a few miles from my home - but the railway ceased operation in 1982. Fortunately the locos were preserved at Amberley museum, and there is a book about this simple but fascinating line by Graham Lelliott.

 
The idea prompted me to dig out the book, which showed that a more accurate plan could in fact be fitted in to the area. I ditched the short siding in favour of one next to the engine-shed, where it actually was, meaning the loco always operates from the factory end of the train (2 skips), which it did. This even meant there was space to fit in the footpath passing under the line just before the factory tipping shed. Hopefully this is clear on the plan below - the sand hoppers on the right, shed at the bottom, and factory on the left.

 
The front cover photo of the book shows the train rounding the curve by the engine shed, just beyond the shed can be seen a spare skip wagon on the siding. The scene is dominated by the concrete walling products awaiting dispatch.

This would make a somewhat different model - not exactly interesting to operate, no an accurate rendition of the prototype, but close enough to capture the main features of the line. However there would be a lot of work - not least, making all those concrete blocks! And the competition is only 6 months away. So should I give it a go? Hmm....
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

stephen said...

Do it! I'd say the pallets(?) of stock in the yard would be a good candidate for resin casting or 3D printing to take the tedium away.

Phil Parker said...

Go for it - you know you want to!

Michael Campbell said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I'm getting the message...

Christian said...

This looks super nice, especially as its so small and compact, yet very prototypical! GFI.

Christian said...

Also - can I suggested styrofoam for the concrete blocks? Easy to cut into small boxes and a roughly similar texture once you've painted it. It's also easy to carve so you could make one big box and curve lines into it for neatly stacked block in one stack.

Michael Campbell said...

Hmm, that's not a bad idea!